My mother-in-law made a version of this dish for us when she was visiting recently, and once it had all been eaten, I just had to make it again! Fortunately, I got a huge amount of giant rhubarb in our most recent bulk foods delivery, so I was able to make it right away. (I based this recipe on one I found on cooks.com, which I'm now unable to find. I used quite a bit less sugar in my version.)
You will need:
(for the filling)
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
3 eggs, beaten
½ cup cream
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla (I used the vanilla extract I made at home.)
4 Tablespoons tapioca flour
(for the topping)
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup GF all-purpose flour
½ cup GF rolled oats
½ cup butter (or equivalent butter substitute), melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients together (rhubarb, eggs, cream, sugars, salt, vanilla, and tapioca flour). Stir gently until the rhubarb is coated with the liquid mixture.
- Pour into an oiled 9X11" baking dish:
- In another bowl, mix the topping ingredients together (brown sugar, all-purpose flour, rolled oats, and butter) until mixed thoroughly:
- Crumble the oat topping mixture on top of the rhubarb.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until the top has started to brown:
- Serve warm. (Maybe even with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!)