You will need:
½ cup gluten-free rice cereal, crushed (1 cup cereal = ½ cup crushed crumbs)
½ cup + 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1½ teaspoons Italian Seasoning, divided
1 cup onion, diced
1¼ cups milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
2 cups steamed broccoli florets (or a 16 oz bag of frozen broccoli, thawed)
2 cups steamed cauliflower (or a 16 oz bag of frozen cauliflower, thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix crushed cereal, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons of the butter, melted, and ½ teaspoon of the Italian Seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the other 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Combine milk and cornstarch and stir until cornstarch is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Add milk to pan and cook while stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Add garlic powder, the rest of the Italian seasoning, and pepper. Add cream cheese and remaining ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Cook and stir over medium heat until all the cheese is melted.
- Add vegetables and stir gently to coat.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 2-quart baking dish, and sprinkle cereal mixture on top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until heated through and top is crispy and toasty brown: