You will need:
2 lbs beef stew meat
Some small red, yellow, or purple potatoes (8-10), sliced
2-3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
2 Tablespoons flour (any kind, optional)
½ Tablespoon garlic powder
½ Tablespoon season salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup red wine (whatever you would drink)
1 bay leaf
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, season salt, thyme, and cayenne pepper in a large plastic ziploc bag:
- Put the stew meat inside the bag and shake shake shake until it's all evenly coated with the spices.
- Brown the meat in a skillet on low to medium heat:
- (If you want to skip the browning step, go for it! Just dump the meat and spices into the slow cooker with the other ingredients.)
- Put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker as follows: carrots on the bottom, then potatoes, onions, meat.
- Cover with the tomato soup or paste, broth, and wine, then add the bay leaf.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for at least 6 hours.
- Eat up!