- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked Arborio rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 ¾ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups spinach
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Cover and cook on high 2 hours or until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve immediately.
One great thing about this recipe is it is highly modifiable. It is gluten-free and can be entirely vegetarian or even vegan if you want to substitute out the cheese. Here are some other variations I've tried:
- Substitute 3/4 cup of vegetable juice for part of the liquid (so just use 3 cups of broth).
- Add shredded or cubed chicken or turkey to the mix (this time I used the meat from half of a rotisserie chicken that we had left over).
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite dried Italian herbs.
- Swiss chard! (See the original recipe link above.)
- Use brown rice instead of white. This time I used brown Basmati rice, because that's what we had on hand. Note that you'll have to increase the cooking time to at least 3 hours if you use brown rice, but it's a little heartier and healthier this way!